Sunday, November 17, 2013

It's a little chilly out there.

The first snowflakes of the year arrived in Jeonju this morning. I'm not sure how I feel about that yet. It's mid-November.

I woke up to text messages about it. Just as I got another text telling me that it had snowed a little this morning, I looked out the window and saw a few flakes. Oh boy, I thought. It begins. It's just barely warmer than freezing right now, so the snow isn't sticking yet. Just floating down til it hits the ground.

Coming is the day everything is covered in a thin white blanket. I'll frolic and play, enjoying the beauty of fresh snow. I've made a goal to make my first snowman this winter, so I've got that to look forward to!

Also coming is the day everything that used to be covered in snow is covered in dirty grey ice. Maybe I'm being pessimistic.

Coming are the days on end of wearing long johns. I haven't been too cold yet, maybe because I remember how cold I was last January and I've adjusted my mindset accordingly. The expectations game, you know. I haven't turned on my floor yet just yet either, only my space heater. I'm trying to hold out on ondol heat until December 1.

Coming is the skin as pale as the snow around me. Leaving are all my freckles. :(

Coming are the ski trips, the sledding, the laughter, the hot chocolate in a toasty coffee shop behind frosted windowpanes. Coming are the winter leggings and boots and giant sweaters under huge fluffy coats. And earmuffs! Coming are the dinners at friends' apartments, movie nights, the indoor fun to be had.

For better or worse.

It's official.

Winter is coming.


***SNOW UPDATE! Today (11/19) it straight-up snowed all morning! Big, fluffy flakes of beauty falling from the sky. It wasn't much, but it stuck to the trees and the ground for a while. The high for the day was like 48*F so it melted once the sun came out. Snow won me over, once again! Winter, bring on your beautiful white fluffiness. My earmuffs and snow boots are ready. I accept.***

No comments:

Post a Comment