Tuesday, April 1, 2014

만우절! April Fools! [aka I'm not moving back to Texas in July]

Apparently April Fools' Day is a pretty popular holiday around the world! Talk To Me In Korean, a popular Korean language learning website, tweeted about it:
‘April Fool’s Day’ is 만우절 [ma-nu-jeol] in Korean, 
but it is forbidden by law to actually say the word in public. 


*It's not actually illegal*
 GOOD ONE, TALK TO ME IN KOREAN. You totally got me.

A friend in my office also got me with the old "my wife is pregnant" prank. Two of my friends from Korea (who moved back to the States) actually *are* pregnant and they announced it today on facebook, knowing that some people wouldn't believe because it's 4/1. The hubs announces that she's pregnant every year, every year. I'm still not entirely sure if it's true, cause she could be playing along... that ultrasound picture could be a fake... (Katherine, I don't know if I can trust you... you've been married to Leon so long! But if it's real, I'M SO EXCITED FOR YOU and still want to visit your prego self in July!)

Last year I pranked my students with a good old "No class today! JUST KIDDING. April Fools!"

This year, I tried to think of the least-believable thing I could say, so I posted this on facebook:

"Believe nothing today. Also, I'm moving back to Texas in July!" 

Unfortunately, people skim so much on facebook that the "BELIEVE NOTHING TODAY" gets lost and, well... I might have woken up to some very excited text message... and I had to crush some hopes. Sorry folks. Eet's a joke. Maybe the time difference was confusing? It was still March 31 back home when it was April 1 here?

I'll be back in July for a visit, for my cousin's wedding in early August, but I'm not actually moving back to Texas, as far as I know.

I'm not actually moving back to Texas, as far as I know. 

I have a contract that'll keep me here until at least February 2015, and I have no idea what's after that! I'm praying about it a lot. I have many places I'd like to go. I made a list of about 20 cities around the world in all sorts of countries, but honestly? Gwangju wasn't on my list, years ago. Jeonju wasn't on my list. They've been very good to me the past 2 years and change! The next city I move to might not even be on my current list. I make no claims to know what's going to happen in the next few years. God knows what he's doing with my plan. IF He does want me home in Texas anytime soon, He will make that happen. I think it's unlikely. I don't have any real plans to move back.

I hold my plans with a loose fist, because God's plan is so much better! That's what I want!

And then I deleted the facebook post, cause I don't want to crush any more hopes, especially when it's family that gets their hopes up. I love you all so much! Sorry if you believed me :/ 

PS the head of the foreign faculty (who's also the guy who hired me and also a friend) commented on my April Fools joke that I don't have a contract anymore, or something like that. Even though I'm pretty sure it was an April Fools joke itself, that is a little unnerving! *BELIEVE NOTHING TODAY*

PPS Google always does the BEST April Fools jokes! Here are my favorite Google pranks for today.





And Netflix is streaming 20 minutes of Sizzling Bacon. 
Well done, internet. I love ya. 


HAPPY APRIL FOOL'S DAY! 

No comments:

Post a Comment