Monday, April 22, 2013

Random English Plethora

I'm redefining my Random English posts.  As you know, for my first year I posted a sighting of completely random, usually incorrect, and usually funny English, also known as Engrish, just about every week.  It's really EVERYWHERE and it's gotten to the point that I don't actually notice it most of the time.  Call it the new normal, if you will.

You know it's gotten bad when you have to stop and think "Wait, is that random? Or is that actually a grammatically correct English phrase?" ...the new normal is rough on my brain.

Once in a while, I still notice some good ones and stop to snap a quick pic. I plan on sharing those from time to time, but I won't be posting a weekly Random English Monday post this year.  (I know, I know, but it will be ok.  Don't cry.)

Today I'd like to share a bunch that I've been holding on to for ages!  Like I said, there are SO MANY opportunities to LOL at Random English, so here are a few from the past year that never made it to a Random English Monday.

Have a great week, yall!


Just keep swimming 

"Consist of buttons and tons and lines. U r so cute. But u r so hard and cold. Like that u,I'll infuse sensitivity into u." 

"Happiness makes up in the height for what it lacks in length."

Of course it does.  

This just made me want a Frosty! 

"A little red riding hood goes to grandma's house with small gifts."

"Becoming on you."

Becoming... what exactly?

Delicious... book. 

"Color Story"
"Fly me to the moon and let me play among the stars. Let me see what spring is like on."
"Passion" "Friendship" 

A "well-being" restaurant called Comma. 

Get crunk.
...y

I don't even know what this is. 

"Enjoy Every Thing"
"Icecream Pouch"

Hope it doesn't melt. 

"My special heart!
I hope you like my gift."

"surprised rabbit" -- a restaurant in Hongdae, Seoul

As long as the customers aren't surprised by rabbits, I think this is ok. 

"Teafood honey ginger." Cookies, that is. 

And a typical translation ...I thought this was unusual when I snapped it, but this strikes me as ordinary now... is this really random English? Meh, maybe not, but the way it's phrased would be strange back home ...I think. 

2 comments:

  1. Zara, I have really enjoyed Random English Mondays. I have a thought for you... could you make this an assignment for your students? To see if they know English well enough to recognize when it is wrong or out of place? Not sure what their grammar/skill level is, but it could make for an interesting class discussion to determine why that is "random", and then those of us following along at home would have a fresh supply!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That would be a really good idea! I don't know if the bulk of my students would be able to recognize 'random,' but my advanced students would probably enjoy it! Thanks for the idea!!

    ReplyDelete