Saturday, March 8, 2014

Organization tips for when you’re feeling busy & overwhelmed:

I don't know about y'all, but the past week has been CRAZY INSANE BUSY I'M GONNA DIE BUT PROBABLY NOT DIE BECAUSE I KINDA THRIVE ON CRAZY BUSY AND LOVE IT. 

But it's still been kinda overwhelming. So rather than hide from all the insane and pretend it will just go away (it won't), I make lists. It helps tremendously to be able to see what I need to accomplish, and it's satisfying to be able to cross stuff off a list and see a visual representation of my progress.

I want to share my list-making habit with all y'all. 


1.       Write everything down
a.       Even if your to-do list is 3 pages long, it is much less intimidating to see it all in one place. You can do this.
b.      Write down everything – big and small – that is rolling around in your scattered brain. Get it all out there, from “oh I need to grab that next time I go to the store” to “if I don’t finish this I’ll be fired”

2.       Categorize your list
a.       What tasks belong to which area of your life? Family stuff, full-time job, part-time job, church, social obligations, rest, hobbies, etc. *don’t forget to rest, or you will burn out and lose it.

3.       Prioritize your list
a.       What is the most important thing in each category? Circle or highlight it.
b.      Can you delete anything? Can you delegate anything? Then do it. Work smarter, not harder.

4.       Pick 5
a.       Every night, pick the 1 or 2 most important things from each category and put them on a new list for the next day
b.      This is your reasonable to-do list 
c.       Repeat this “Pick 5” step each day and see results. This is often called "chunking" and it makes your list manageable and increases your productivity.  



Don't forget to pray. And, if you need to, take a nap. 
It'll work out. 


(*hey look guys, I made a picture that you can pin on pinterest! I am pretty much obsessed with pinterest right now, not gonna lie. Also, creating pinnable image thingies is not my strength, but I think they're handy, so yay for Microsoft Paint. Kicking it old school.)


No comments:

Post a Comment